Practicing the piano is a skill. It takes a lot of focus, discipline, and planning ahead. Here are some helpful tips on effectively practicing the piano that I've learned from my teachers over the years:
- Always warm up first! Warm-ups are usually simple exercises with the purpose of warming up your muscles and developing your technique.
- Practice with full concentration every day. Even 10 minutes can go a long way when you are completely focused.
- Count aloud as you play.
- Practice slowly and precisely.
- Schedule your practice sessions. Try to choose a time when your mind is fresh. When you know that you ALWAYS practice after you arrive home from school, you will be more likely to practice consistently.
- Immediately fix your mistakes. If you make a mistake, practice the section with the mistake slowly. Gradually play faster until you are up to tempo without making mistakes.
- Make a recording of yourself practicing and listen to it carefully.
- Mark your music as needed!
Following these tips will help you to become a better pianist and musician J Happy practicing!